16, 23, 32
16. Talk about a ship you initially disliked.
York/Carolina, mainly because Carolina defied my previous headcanons. I realize now my dislike of her back during the season 9’s run mainly had to do with that. The fanon at the time was that Carolina was a weaker Freelancer, further down in the leaderboard, and that she ended up killing herself when the AIs proved to be too much for her. I realize now, though, that a lot of my headcanons had to do with her character being a tragic figure in York’s past, and someone he had tried and failed to save. She’s a lot more interesting than that, as it turns out.
23. Which of your ships deserve better writing?
I’m still a lingering fan of South/Wash, but with the revelations of Wash’s character arc and the fact that South was disdainful of him during the Project, it takes some finessing. As I recall ichidou wrote a genius South/Wash fic in which she mainly uses him to take out her frustrations.
32. Share five must-read fics.
Well, doing this for Church/Tex would be cheating since I have that big recommendation master post for them. Hm…
I think I’m going outside the RvB fandom for this one just because the first ones that come to mind are in other fandoms.
Star Trek TNG: Rollercoaster by Mistress Scibbles. Data/Tasha. Tasha survives the encounter with Armus. Weaves her seamlessly into canon, as well as a slow-burn building relationship with Data.
Halo: Love of a Spartan by AshleyBudrick. John/OC. John works with a squad of Marines and slowly falls in love with one of them.
Star Trek AOS: Comforts of Home by TrueAwesomeSauce. Spock/Uhura. A series of connected oneshots that follows their lives on the Enterprise after Nero.
RvB/Silent Hill: The Silent Gulch series by firerwolf; parts 1, 2, and 3. Church/Tex and Grif/Simmons. The world of Silent Hill invades Blood Gulch. The shipping is subtle in these fics (hence why they don’t appear on my master list despite the Church/Tex shipping), but it’s worth reading just because of how it weaves the two worlds together. (Full disclosure: I was the beta on these fics.)
Songs I’ve always wanted to write to volume the second
Suggest me a character/pairing/scenario for this one and maybe I’ll finally be able to bang something out
I really should be paying attention in class instead of drawing Fanart…..
But after last night’s episode, I just had to draw Tucker.
- Talk about the first ship you ever had.
- Talk about three of the most important ships throughout your life.
- What’s your current OTP?
- What’s your current NOTP?
- Do you have any poly ships?
- How do you feel about love triangles?
- How do you feel about RPF?
- Have you ever shipped yourself with a character?
- Do you have many ships that never got together at all?
- Do you ship any characters that have never met?
- Talk about your favorite first kiss.
- Have you ever been disappointed when your ship finally got together?
- Has a ship ever broken your heart?
- How do you feel about will they/won’t they?
- Have you ever “shipped at first sight”?
- Talk about a ship you initially disliked.
- Talk about a pairing you’ve stopped shipping romantically.
- Talk about a moment which made you question an entire ship.
- Have you ever shipped something despite yourself?
- Talk about a ship you feel alone in shipping.
- Is there a ship you just don’t get, but have nothing against?
- Which of your ships have the best chemistry?
- Which of your ships deserve better writing?
- Do you mostly ship canon pairings?
- Have you ever shipped a pairing before you even started watching the show/movie simply because of gifs and graphics or similar?
- Have you noticed a pattern in your shipping? Is there a romantic dynamic you’re more drawn to?
- Is there a ship you’ve shipped for most of your life?
- Does shipping come easily to you?
- Do you need to ship something to really enjoy a movie/book/tv show/comic?
- Name a couple of fandoms in which you have no ships.
- Talk about one of your favorite headcanons for a ship you love.
- Share five must-read fics.
- Name your favorite fanartist(s).
- Share your favorite fanmix for your OTP.
- Recommend 1-5 shipper blogs.
- Do you create fanmixes/gif sets/fanart/fic/fanvids and so on for you ships?
- Do you have a favorite trope and/or AU for your OTP?
- Do you like and use ship names?
- Is there a fictional relationship you’d really want for yourself?
- If you could change one thing about your OTP, what would that be?
Before I got my eye put out – (336)
By Emily Dickinson
Before I got my eye put out –
I liked as well to see
As other creatures, that have eyes –
And know no other way –
But were it told to me, Today,
That I might have the Sky
For mine, I tell you that my Heart
Would split, for size of me –
The Meadows – mine –
The Mountains – mine –
All Forests – Stintless stars –
As much of noon, as I could take –
Between my finite eyes –
The Motions of the Dipping Birds –
The Morning’s Amber Road –
For mine – to look at when I liked,
The news would strike me dead –
So safer – guess – with just my soul
Opon the window pane
Where other creatures put their eyes –
Incautious – of the Sun –
sometimes you hear the correct pronunciation for something and you just
refuse to acknowledge it at all
Stephen King: 10 More Quotes on Writing
01. “By the time I was fourteen the nail in my wall would no longer support the weight of the rejection slips impaled upon it. I replaced the nail with a spike and went on writing.”
02. “Reading is the creative center of a writer’s life.”
03. “You can, you should, and if you’re brave enough to start, you will.”
04. “For me writing has always been best when it’s intimate, as sexy as skin on skin.”
05. “Sometimes you have to go on when you don’t feel like it, and sometimes you’re doing good work when it feels like all you’re managing is to shovel shit from a sitting position.”
06. “Life isn’t a support system for art. It’s the other way around.”
07. “Optimism is a perfectly legitimate response to failure.”
08. “I’m convinced that fear is at the root of most bad writing.”
09. “What you need to remember is that there’s a difference between lecturing about what you know and using it to enrich the story. The latter is good. The former is not.”
10. “Language does not always have to wear a tie and lace-up shoes. The object of fiction isn’t grammatical correctness but to make the reader welcome and then tell a story… to make him/her forget, whenever possible, that he/she is reading a story at all.”
just-the-fics-maam’s tips for getting unstuck with your writing.
These ideas have helped me when I have gotten stuck. I hope they help you, too!
"Do you really think she should be playing with grenades?" Leonard asks. Allison looks up from her plate and then over to the toddler who is systematically hitting the object in her hand against every surface she can reach. "It's a dud," Allison shrugs. "You yell at me when I give her an abacus," Leonard mentions. "Yeah, well, no kid can possibly have fun with an /abacus/." The little girl squeals in delight as she stuffs the inactive grenade in between couch cushions and Leonard sighs.
This mental image is so hilarious but so sweet. I love their disparate parenting styles and how they have such differing ideas of appropriate playthings.
So because I love feedback and that crown symbol is REALLY ANNOYING if you can’t find it to copy/paste:
If you send me an ask stating what you like about my writing, or a character you like my interpretation of, or what you think I could work on (constructive criticism only, please), I will send back a small little askbox fic focusing on that character/thing you mentioned as a thanks for taking the time to let me know! :)